Speakership Race: Anita Among throws in towel amid corruption probe

Anita Among has dropped her bid to retain the speakership following investigations into her wealth

The outgoing speaker of the 11th Parliament, Anita Among, has said she will not contest for speakership of the 12th Parliament, ending days of political uncertainty within the ruling National Resistance Movement.

In a statement posted on her X account late Sunday night, Among said her decision followed “wide consultations and deep introspection” aimed at maintaining “harmony and clarity” within the NRM.

The Bukedea Woman MP thanked President Museveni, the NRM leadership, and members of the 11th Parliament for entrusting her with the offices of Deputy Speaker and Speaker over the last five years.

She also pledged support for candidates whom the President and the party will eventually endorse.

Among’s withdrawal comes at a time when she is facing mounting pressure over allegations of corruption, unexplained wealth, and abuse of office.

Last week, the Inspectorate of Government confirmed that it had received petitions seeking investigations into her wealth declarations and alleged breaches of the Leadership Code Act.

The development also followed security operations and searches at properties linked to Among in Nakasero, Ntinda, and Kigo as part of widening investigations into alleged corruption and illicit accumulation of wealth.

The Patriotic League of Uganda, a pressure group led by Gen Muhoozi Kainerugaba, the CDF, last week withdrew its earlier endorsement of Among and her deputy, Thomas Tayebwa, for the two top parliamentary offices.

The withdrawal was widely interpreted as a sign of shifting power dynamics within the ruling party ahead of the opening of the 12th Parliament on May 25.

Reports have also indicated that senior NRM figures were increasingly uncomfortable with the political baggage surrounding Among’s continued bid for the speakership.

In recent days, several MPs who had publicly backed Among began distancing themselves from her campaign.

She has been under both domestic and international scrutiny over corruption allegations during her tenure as Speaker.

In 2024, the United States imposed sanctions on her and her husband, accusing them of involvement in significant corruption linked to her leadership of Parliament.

Although she denied wrongdoing and described some accusations as politically motivated, criticism over lavish spending and displays of wealth continued to grow throughout her term.

The minister of Defence, Jacob Oboth-Oboth, is widely expected to replace her after reportedly being endorsed by President Museveni and the NRM. Tayebwa’s fate remains unclear.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *